Recipes - Ginger Beer
Nothing can beat home made Ginger beer. Delicious on a sunny day, this alcoholic version is sure to impress your friends and family. Ice Cooled with a refreshing zing that really hits the spot but watch out as the 6% ABV can have you walking sideways.
1 - 2k ginger root dependant on taste, grated
2.5 k sugar
4 lemons, sliced
300g of Sultanas
3/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
Approx 23 Litres of bottled water (or tap water dependant on your water).
Sanitise and rinse all equipment.
1. Boil as much water as you can get in your stock pot, peel the lemons (avoiding pith), then throw in the peel and squeeze in the juice.
2. Grate the ginger (skin too) and throw in along with the cream of tarter.
3. Add sugar and reduce temp to simmer for about 30 mins.
4. Add 300g of Sultanas to the fermenter then pour the liquid on top and fill up to 23 ltrs with water. Once cooled to fermentation temp sprinkle the yeast on top.
5. Cover and ferment for 4 days.
6. Strain and squeeze the juice from the liquid and transfer to a clean fermenter until complete (usually about 5 / 7 days).
6. Bottle in strong glass bottles adding 1/2 teaspoon of priming sugar to each.
If you wish to make smaller/larger batches then adjust the ingredients accordingly. This will make a drink of approx 6% ABV. Reduce the sugar if you want to lower the ABV.
Open with care as they can be a bit lively.
Check out our great brewing forum for more tips, advice and brewing banter.