Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Pop by and say hello

Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Postby jonesee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 am

I bought this book from Brew UK...looks like an excellent investment. I fancy making a London Bitter from the book (page 140) but I'm not sure what exact type of ingredients I need to buy, for eg it says Pale Malt (Is this Maris Otter) I put all the ingredients from the book into Beer Smith and the colour, IBU and ABV are all out if the target range, I need to add about 5.5 kg of Pale Malt to get the correct OG etc. Am I doing something wrong here...should I ignore Beer Smith ...thanks
jonesee

Re: Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes

Postby onesecondglance » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Jonesee,

different software will give different answers, so it's reasonably unsurprising that Beersmith doesn't match up with the book. You may also find that the ingredients you can buy are different - e.g. the book might assume Fuggles have an AA of 4.5%, Beersmith might assume 4.0%, and what you can buy comes out at 5% - which will have a big impact on the calculated IBU. Similarly, colour will depend on the actual grain you buy, and OG will depend on assumptions around the potential of the ingredients and your efficiency.

The simplest option is to go with the recipe as is and see how it comes out. Slightly better would be to calculate the correct IBUs based on the actual hops you can get hold of (the Brew UK site lists AA% for all hops currently in stock). I personally wouldn't bother messing about trying to hit the colour or OG targets as there are too many variables there... as one of our regulars says here, "just bung it in!"

Best of luck
Planning - West Coast IPA, Affogato white stout
Fermenting -
Conditioning -
Drinking - Dry hopped pilsner
onesecondglance

Postby jonesee » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

makes good sense what u say...thanks for the response...cheers
jonesee

Postby PhilB » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi jonesee, and welcome to the forum ;) :cheers:

jonesee wrote:for eg it says Pale Malt (Is this Maris Otter)
... Maris Otter is a variety of barley which is particularly suited to malting, but there are others and it's often possible to buy blends of varieties, just labelled as "Pale Malt", from different maltsters also ... basically, anything which is specified as "Pale Malt" on that page (link) in the BrewUK shop would do you ;) ... over time, you'll try different ones, and choose the one that suits you best, either on the basis of taste or price, or whatever :?

onesecondglance wrote:... as one of our regulars says here, "just bung it in!"
... but then, having tasted some of the beers of our "just bung it in" advising friend ... I'm quite sure he has sufficent experience of being quite confident what will come out when he puts his ingredients into his pot :? ... the sentiment behind OSG's (onesecondglance's) post, I believe, is the idea that, however you calculate your recipe, what turns out will (probably) not be exactly like what was expected ... so it's not worth worrying about how you calculate it, at this stage :?
The reason you will probably not get exactly what the recipe predicts is (as OSG says) because there are so many variables and so many assumptions made in the calculations ... but, whichever version of the recipe you choose to follow, it is worthwhile taking lots of measurements on your brewday (volumes of water added at each stage, volumes of wort collected, gravities, etc.) so that you can compare the "predictions" from the recipe with what happened and adjust your procedures for subsequent times you brew a recipe calculated by that method (if you end up with 3 lts more wort than the recipe suggested you would make, then you will know you need to add 3 litres less at some stage next time :? ) ... doing that, and adjusting your calculations appropriately to refine your brewing, can be a "shortcut" to getting lots of experience, relatively quickly ;)

Don't worry though, just about whatever comes out of your brewpot on brewday, however far out those calculations/assumptions are ... so long as you've got the wort sterilised and you make sure you clean and sterilise your equipment well, and you pitch healthy yeast ... you will make beer, and probably really nice beer ;) :cheers:

Cheers, PhilB
The answer is probably ... RDWHAHB ... Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home-Brew ;) :cheers:
PhilB

Postby jonesee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 am

Hello Phil, thanks for your comments. I guess I am looking too much into it at the mo. I did my first ever AG on Sunday so I have a lot to learn I guess. Was expecting 23L from my brew but only got 19L in my fermenter, there was 1.7L left in the tun, not sure if u take this into account for the calcs? Did a stupid thing, I forgot to raise the grain basket, so started sparging with the basket in the wort (pretty daft really....lesson learnt!!). I realised about half way through the HLT lol!
cheers!
jonesee

Postby PhilB » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi jonesee

jonesee wrote: I guess I am looking too much into it at the mo.
... I guess, what we're trying to say is, "it's worth thinking about these things, but not worrying/doing anything about them" ... yet!!

jonesee wrote:Was expecting 23L from my brew but only got 19L in my fermenter, there was 1.7L left in the tun, not sure if u take this into account for the calcs?
... you'll need to take volume shortfalls into account, at some stage ... but whether you do anything about that next time, or leave it till you've done a few more brews, is a choice you'll have to make ... you see, it may be that next time you are a bit more careful about emptying your tun, or you may decide to tip it, and that 1.7 lts may reduce to 0.5 lts (or whatever) anyway ... recipes and calculators can deal with adjusting assumptions, but those assumptions are reliant on what happened in your process, and as you're refining your process the outcomes will change ... probably best to just brew to the recipes the first few times, take lots of measurements and then start to get an idea of what assumptions you need to change.

You've said you got a lower volume of wort into your fermenter, did that wort have a higher gravity than you expected? :?

Cheers, PhilB
The answer is probably ... RDWHAHB ... Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home-Brew ;) :cheers:
PhilB

Postby jonesee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am

hi phil...sorry about the late response. The gravity was spot on at 1042 for this brew.
jonesee

Postby PhilB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Ian

Well ... if you got 19 lts out at 1.042, instead of 23 lts at 1.042 ... then you didn't get as much sugar out of all the grain you put in as was expected ... the TTL kit off the site assumes a 75% brewhouse efficiency, and you managed more like 75 * 19 /21 = 68% :?

Hopefully, some of those not collected sugars will have been due to your sparging technique, which you've already decided to change for next time ... but it's worth noting these things for when you start trying to "calibrate" your system so you can (eventually) be confident of getting out what your recipe predicted ... have a read of that thread over there (link) as an example of the sorts of things you'll need to start thinking about doing when you're ready to do that ... it also includes a post explaining how to do a "liquor back calculation", so should you end up with less wort than you expected, at a higher gravity, you can dilute it down to the correct gravity :?

Cheers, PhilB
PhilB

Postby Here4thebeer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Regarding the book, I've done a couple of recipes from it recently. The witbier, which I wasn't impressed with initially thought it was too malty or had too much coriander, however these flavours mellowed and it turned out lovely. Then did the American stout, had my first taste the other night and very impressed. The citrus flavours really came through, it's verging into black IPA territory (which I'm happy about!) :D

So in a nutshell 2 recipes tried and they both turned out nice, does anyone have any recommendations from their experience?

Cheers :cheers:

H4tb
Here4thebeer

Return to Guestbook