Right back to the Beginning!

Pop by and say hello

Right back to the Beginning!

Postby saracen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi all!
Wonder how many out there remember me?
Been very busy, about 3 year's busy! I haven't brewed anything for years because I simply don't have the time. The Taxi business my son and I bought occupies 100 hours a week for me.
Anyway, I'm going to have another go but this time the all-grain is a non starter. Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt. No, this time I'm falling back on the good old Saracen Wherry Tweak! I've spotted a load of new hops that look exciting, but I'm going with Goldings first time around. Reduce volume by 7.5%, add 250 gms of light spraymalt and boil some water. Let in drop to 60c and steep 25 gms of Goldings. Use that as part of the volume and when it's fermented out (Nottingham yeast to dry it more) dry hop with another 25 gms of Goldings. Then ... bottle and take down pub. Not a week goes by without they want me to resume their supply of homemade samples!
Ok. Serious question. Hops. Given that I want the 2nd batch to be very different, using the same base materials, which hops for the late additions and dry hop?
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Re: Right back to the Beginning!

Postby Old Elver » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:21 am

Hey saracen....good to have you back on the forum.
My favourite hops for late additions is currently Mosaic.
Not bad place to start!
OE
Old Elver Craft Brewery...it slips down a treat!

Favourite own recipe = Mosaic Ale - Hop Art (All Grain)
Favourite "Old" Beer = Fullers ESB.
Favourite New Brewery = Vibrant Forest
Favourite Song = The Beerlust Bash
Old Elver

Postby PhilB » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:53 am

saracen wrote:Wonder how many out there remember me?
... please sir, please sir ... I do! ;) :cheers:

Hi Saracen, welcome back ;) :cheers:
saracen wrote:which hops for the late additions and dry hop?
... I know this isn't one of those "new hops", but a friend recently gave me a bottle of Coopers IPA that he'd dry-hopped with Challenger ... admittedly not a hop I've used for dry-hopping myself, but I was really impressed with the aromas and impressions it gave to the beer he gave me :? ... it was also more "Fuggles with Attitude" maybe, than the citrus/fruit/floral/pine aromas you might be imagining from those exotic, "new" hops ... but perhaps a hop that is all too easily overlooked :?

Interested to see the other suggestions people have though ;) :cheers:
Cheers, PhilB
The answer is probably ... RDWHAHB ... Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home-Brew ;) :cheers:
PhilB

Postby Pete. » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Saracen ol' chap. We missed you down at the "Turk's Head"!

I have a lot of Cascade, Citra and EKG so have been using them recently. I like what the Cascade and the Goldings do. Possibly the Cascade is slightly preferable to my palette. Not so sure about the Citra as a dry hop - it can be a bit "tangy". Dry hoping with Admiral a year or so back was interesting - after the initial intense flavour had lessened a bit by 3 months bottle conditioning. Not done Challenger but will have a go.

I would urge Saracen (who is a seasoned brewer) to switch to using plain malt extract and hops (to your preference) to brew. IMHO Wherry kits bring little extra to the party but do increase the cost. Of course everyone is free to make beer as they wish but I would also urge not boiling the malt!

Either way - welcome back to the brew house! Good luck with the next brew. :cheers:
Last edited by Pete. on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its beer, Jim. But not as we know it...
Pete.

Postby Tomo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi Saracen why don't you brew a good old summer glow you did formulate the extract recipe if I remember rightly and it's a cracker for the summer. If you do decide on the wherry Galaxy hops I find really good for a thirty minute steep and then a five day dry hop then bottled at 1.73 volumes with pure cane sugar, temp of finished beer when bottled 17c worked out really well for me in the past,so good luck with what ever you dicide to do mate and is good to have you back, have taken much advice from your posts over the years. :cheers:
Tomo

Postby Johndevans » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:58 pm

+1 for dry hopping with Galaxy and/or Mosaic. Currently my two favourites. Can't go to far wrong with a lovely bit of Amarillo either. :cheers:
Fermenting: Rakau Saison with Bruxellensis, Amarillo Saison with 'All the Bretts', Sour Solera
Conditioning: Rakau Saison
Drinking: Mosaic/Galaxy IPA, mango, raspberry, strawberry sour beer, Citra Saison, various Du Pont beers
Johndevans

Postby Hamish » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Welcome back matey!.
Planning: A new 'shiny' mash tun
Fermenting:
Maturing/Conditioning:
Drinking: Wheat beer & Shop bought stuff
Hamish

Postby saracen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey! Thanks for the welcome. Good to hear from all of you.
Probably right about starting with Malt, but I simply don't have the time.
The Late Hopping I think I might do with Chinook, but this is for the 2nd planned brew. Not one I've used but it's popular and highly rated.
Most of the people I'll share with are not really heavily into Citrus hops, so I think a good old Goldings brew, upping the bitterness by about 5 EBU and Nottingham yeast is definitely the way to start a comeback.
Some of the Mid European hops sound exciting but in my experience they rarely live up to the press. Galaxy is another one. A Galaxy single hop I took over the pub is still remembered with misty eyes, but it would need to start life as a light beer.
Watch this space! I'll try to be around a bit more.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Postby Barrance72 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Welcome back Saracen !

Although only been brewing 15 months or so your legendary 'Saracen Wherry Tweak' was my third and best attempt at that point ,so cheers for that :cheers:

Now on to all grain ( 3 brews) I have a spare Wherry kit in the cupboard I picked up for £15 at Wilkos ....

On Phils advice I'm going to steep 100 gram Crystal and 200 gram biscuit malt , dry hop with Galaxy and add a bit to steeped grains ( @75) and ferment with Notty to achieve something similar to 'Moorlands Golden Hen'

Looking forward to a nice easy brew day , all grain is great but time consuming !

Good luck with brew

Scott :D
Barrance72

Postby madlen_lieb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm

omg saracen is back :)

i know the feeling with not having time. i try to start my first one after ages (must be over 4 years now) and started to get back into the topic with re-reading the forum. my choice will be an extract way to Amarillo with an bock yeast to make it an easy going lager type, but keeping all the flavours/ sweet character of an ale. did it before with an normal lager yeast and the beer turned out quite similar to corona (hop like), but with an malt aroma (not the bitter water which is typical for industry lagers)

i try to get my hands on an liberty hop plant (http://www.willingham-nurseries.co.uk/hops/liberty.html). the description sounds promising for the last few minutes/ dry hopping.

madlen

ps: if the link is against the forum rules, remove it, i cant remember which once where ok and which ones not.
In a civilized society, the only persons outside the dictates of decency and law are those who make it there profession.
madlen_lieb

Return to Guestbook