National Homebrew Day: Proper Knob

Place your beer recipes here

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey folks!

Well - across the pond the good folks have National Homebrew Day on the first Saturday in May (this year actually being the 1st May). I've read some great stuff about getting out and brewing in unusual places but can't do that this year so on Saturday I'm going to invite my father to come brew with me.

I've been researching and asking questions and trying to arrive at a clone for Proper Job, this is to be my version. If it doesn't quite get there, I don't care, I'll be doing this with the old man!

Pics may follow late on Saturday depending on how drunk we get :o)
Batch Size: 25.00 L

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 54.0 IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.5 EBC)

0.60 kg Munich Malt (17.0 EBC)

0.40 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.0 EBC)

35.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (60 min)

25.00 gm Williamette [6.70 %] (25 min)

20.00 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (25 min)

25.00 gm Williamette [6.70 %] (2 min)

35.00 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (80 C) (Aroma)

1.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33)
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

68.0 C
Slightly higher temp here to try to get that little sweet edge that PJ has
Beer will get you through the times of no money better than money will get you through the times of no beer (with grateful thanks to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and slightly adapted)
Tony

Postby nath » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Go for it Tony! How did you get where you are with the recipe then?
nath

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 am

Hey nath!

Just a lot of searches really, people who have been trying it over and over. Also read a report from someone who had spoken with their headbrewer. St Austell don't use MO, they have their barley malted to their own spec too .. so this is just an approximation of the recipe. Oddly enough, there seem to be quite a few people who have nailed the Tribute recipe!

I'll give it a go and see what happens. I was torn between using Munich and Crystal, I went for crystal for two reasons: the feeling was that crystal wasn't right from those who had tried it - and I used Munich in my last brew and I rather like the depth of flavour, that seems right for the Proper Job.
Beer will get you through the times of no money better than money will get you through the times of no beer (with grateful thanks to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and slightly adapted)
Tony

Postby greg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 am

Hi Tony, looks good. Not managed to taste Proper Job but this looks like it will make a great beer. I would definately favour munich over Crystal, Crystal has such a distinct flavour which tends to dominate everything else.
Be interested to find out how it turns out.
So whats the definitive Tribute recipe then?
greg
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 am

:o)

I knew you'd ask that! I'm planning another brew the week after if the gods (and more importantly the missus) allow so may do that one. Either way, I'll find it for you and email it along.
Tony

Postby nath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:51 am

Funny you say that about munich but the last beer I made with 750g munich, 2500g pale and 170g oats turned out out a bit too munichy. But it was a low og beer so I reckon your pale malt will more than balance that out.
I found the crystal taste a bit too much in my 6x clone but then a mojority of major brewers use crystal in a lot of their bitters so it must just be about balancing the flavours.
Nath
nath

Postby greg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:47 pm

By the way Tony, is your Dad a brewer?
greg
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Interesting you should say that! No he isn't - but his father (my grandfather) was. He used to make 200 gals of mead at a time.

Even more interesting, my uncle called me last week (father's brother) and said that he'd just found grandfather's handwritten brewing books with all of his notes and would I like it?

He didn't need to ask twice, so I'm looking forward to sharing some of those with you (mainly wine & mead) all when I receive it (which may be a couple of months I think).

I think my father brewed a batch of kit beer when I was younger and it wasn't good - but he did build a lot of my gear that I use for brewing now!
NATH: Yes, that crystal can be really overpowering but seems to get a lot of use commercially. I don't seem to taste it in many brews but I know it's there! :o)
Tony

Postby Tony » Sat May 01, 2010 11:39 am

Dropped the MO down to 5.5kg and the temp down to 67 (got cold feet ... errr, or hot ones!)
Dough-in!

Hit strike temp spot on!

5.30am start usually gives me plenty of time on my own, but the monsters' woke!

Daughter No 1's breakfast:

Daughter No 2's breakfast:

Lost .1 of a degree over 75 mins. I'll find the little bleeder if it takes me 'til the end of time!

1st run off for batch sparge..

... and return

Main run-off number 1 (following 1st part of batch sparge

There she goes..

2nd run off (returned for batch sparge number 2)

After batch sparge and heated to rolling boil - first hop addition: Chinook (60 min)

25 mins remaining and in goes Cascade...

... and Williamette

Irish Mist:

More Williamette with 2 mins remaining

Boil over, down to 80 degrees and in with the Cascade aroma hops for 20 mins

Meanwhile, checking on the hop plant

and almost forgot, all into FV with a healthy helping of oxygen

This yeast seems to like getting to work quickly, already showing good signs of life 3 hours after pitching
Tony

Postby nath » Sat May 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Awesome stuff there tony, will be great to see if your proper job is the....proper job. I cant get enough of it at the moment.
nath

Postby Tony » Sun May 02, 2010 5:13 am

Hey nath.... I've got fingers crossed. This yeast (S-33) is fast! Started in under 4 hours (dry-pitched) and is going nuts at the moment.
I do have one slight problem .. can't find anywhere around here selling Proper Job, either in the bottle or any other way. I'll need to do a few comparisons... may have to do a case mail order if I can hide it from the missus!

Tony

Postby nath » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 am

I spoke to a offie in my local town, but to be honest its not really a offie, its a specialty beer and normal grocery store! Really helpful, her son has shares in brewdog so they must be good people!
They get their beer from www.beerparadise.ltd.uk so are happy to get me anything on there.
www.abbeystores.co.uk is who the offie is and they will post for about £8.50.
I reckon you ask your local stores to see if they will get it in for you, Im sure one of em will!
nath

Postby Tony » Thu May 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Cheers Nath, I asked at my local offie and even though I'm well known in there (cough), I got some funny looks when I asked for Proper Job. They've only been running it for a year and have massive problems with spoken (and as I've just discovered, written) English. Which is odd really as they should feel right at home with the Cornish in Kernow Land :o) The other offy that I've been going to for 25 years has just closed :o(
Just racked this and its cloudier than Cloudy McCloud in a duet with Kate Bush. Love the speed of this yeast but its looking like the secondary will need at least two weeks for it to drop out. I'm hoping that it will compact nicely at the bottom too .. as I'll be bottling straight from the secondary. Still, smells and tastes great - although not like a PJ at the moment - and even though cloudy, the colour is fantastic, love that low colour MO!
Tony

Postby greg » Thu May 06, 2010 6:25 pm

Look what Tanya got me for the weekend.

Yum
PS sorry about the photo quality, took in on my phone without a flash as Camera is at work.
greg
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm

All I can say is that she must love you very, very much. Not just the one bottle of PJ... but two!
Not a big fan of the FF but the others are all very special. I've tried the Chimera and it's a lovely strong IPA but don't know the Keystone VPA. Make sure you report back! :o)
How are you going to wait for the weekend? I have a few choice snacks here and I've lined up the beer all ready for the results to start pouring in tonight, I bet I fall asleep before midnight!
Enjoy!
Tony

Postby nath » Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Left to right:-
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
nath

Postby greg » Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 pm

The weekend starts here. Hard not to drink all the Proper jobs tonight but must exercise restraint.
One Proper job and the VPA down. VPA is not bad but not a spot on Proper job.
greg
Site Admin

Postby nath » Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 am

Hey Tony, I spy a third Proper Job, Greg was trying to hide it from our vision!
nath

Postby Tony » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 am

I can't actually see it.. but Greg did say 'hard not to drink ALL the proper jobs', rather than BOTH the proper jobs!
Tony

Postby greg » Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 am

There was 3. Not any more though. Might have to see if they have any more!!
greg
Site Admin

Postby nath » Fri May 07, 2010 11:26 am

You'll have to beat me first! Thinking of "popping" down after work!
nath

Postby nath » Fri May 07, 2010 5:29 pm

*update*
No more proper jibs, system says there is 4 in store but none were there.
I had to colsole myself with a purchase of a 49er.....and a tanglefoot......and a summer lightning......and a otter beautiful daze oh and a great bustard from stonehenge brewery.
Life is hard!
nath

Postby Tony » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Those 4 were probably the ones out of shot in Greg's photo. I could hear the last post playing in the background when I read the first part of your message.
Good on the consolation front though! I had a couple of 49ers last weekend, lovely malty beer! Don't know the otter and great bustard though ..
Tony

Postby nath » Fri May 07, 2010 5:49 pm

I used to drink a fair bit of otter bright when I was about 19 so its nice to catch up on whats going on with the brewery. I used to like my ales malty and not so hoppy, tis tother way round nowerdays.
nath

Postby Tony » Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

I'd love to get a good balance between the two .. love the high hops but love the malt too!

I'm just enjoying the second pint of my Imp Ale .. and to be honest, its close to being the best pint I've ever drunk .. comes out at about 65 IBU. I've never wanted to completely recreate a beer before - always prefer tweaking, but I may try for this one again!
Sorry - sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet ... not intentionally though!
Tony

Next

Return to Recipes