Converting Extract to All Grain ...?

All grain related posts

Postby Gyro » Sun May 27, 2012 7:24 am

Is there a reasonably reliable way to convert extract to all grain (or, in my case, BIAB) .. ?
I posted one of my most successful recipes to date, which is mainly extract, and want to convert this to grain. See here
Cheers,

G
Drinking: Helles Bells Lagerbier, Amber ale
Bottling: 2nd batch of Amber ale
Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, Hefeweizen
Soon to brew: God knows!
Gyro

Postby nath » Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 am

You can convert recipes quite happily in beersmith and beer engine (though im unsure how easy it is in beerengine). I would give it a crack but im at work :(
In the mean time why not download one of the above (beerengine is free, beersmith a free 21 day trial) Put in all the malts and hops then use 50% wheat and 50% malt until you get an og of 1.058, that should put you around the same as you want.
Hopefully another peep will be alonng to help ya out, and may even be able to convert it for ya (and probably correct me!)
nath

Postby saracen » Sun May 27, 2012 10:40 am

I've converted this in Beer Engine for you and it's come up with a problem immediately. The OG is only 1.052. I've re-set it to 1.058 and the quantities are correct for that figure.

The second issue is the Lager Malt you've used. Steeping Lager Malt, as it's a Primary Malt, probably doesn't extract anything fermentable. Using the BIAB technique, and Grmski is the one for this, it would.

Anyway, here's the conversion as an All Grain, conventional mash recipe.

The FG figure will depend on the yeast.
Wheat Malt. 3.5 EBC. 2450 grams.

Pale Malt (Maris Otter). 5 EBC. 2000 grams

Lager Malt. 2.5 EBC. 395 grams.

Crystal Malt, Dark. 300 EBC. 54 grams.

Chocolate Malt. 1050 EBC. 120 grams.

Carafa 3. 1200 EBC. 120 grams.
Willamette Whole. AA 4.7%. 60 mins. 45 grams

Cascade Whole. AA 5.7%. 15 mins. 20 grams

Spalt Whole. AA 4.5%. 5 mins. 25 grams

Spalt Whole. AA 4.5%. 5 mins. 25 grams (2 minutes plus 5 minutes steep)
Final Volume: 20 Litres

Original Gravity: 1.058

Final Gravity: 1.015

Alcohol Content: 5.6% ABV

Total Liquor: 30.1 Litres

Mash Liquor: 12.9 Litres

Mash Efficiency: 75 %

Bitterness: 31 EBU

Colour: 117 EBC
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Postby Gyro » Sun May 27, 2012 1:25 pm

I could be wrong, but in essence, there shouldn't be too much difference between a 'proper' all grain and a BIAB, aside from maybe quantity .. ?
That recipe above looks pretty sound with approx. 5.5kgs of grain. I wonder about increasing the lager malt though, as this should definitely be a fermentable at an hour or so's mash around 163-166 degrees.. ?
Drinking: Helles Bells Lagerbier, Amber ale
Bottling: 2nd batch of Amber ale
Conditioning: Munich Dunkel, Hefeweizen
Soon to brew: God knows!
Gyro

Postby saracen » Sun May 27, 2012 1:56 pm

The Lager Malt is increased in proportion to the amount originally used. The difficulty comes when having to compensate for the difference between extract and grain. It's a bit swings and roundabouts, as Wheat Malt Extract is 55% Wheat and 45% Barley, but the 1.052 to 1.058 difference would account for it and all the grains have been increased in propotion. You could reduce the Crystal, Chocolate and Carafa back to the original figures and the colour will come down to 106 EBC, not enough to be noticeable, but the grains remain the same to give the 1.058.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Postby grmski » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 am

Gyro - what I do to get a 'normal' AG recipe to use in biab is to run it through The Calculator which is a free spreadsheet available from biabrewer.info you enter details about the boiler, it's size then the grain and hop bill and it will recalculate the recipe and give you the exact volumes of water and grist that you'll need. It works better than any other program I've used once you've got the base recipe. Having said that once you know you equipment and for example how much water you evaporate and lose to absorbtion you can more or less assume that 40 ltr and 5-6kg of grain will give you 23 ltr into fv at about 1050-1055.
Planning: Citra APA
Fermenting: English IPA, Beaverdale Merlot
Conditioning: Dragon Stout Clone
Drinking: DOC Merlot, Cascade APA, Coopers Euro Lager, ESB

"I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will"
grmski

Return to Grain