Way to Amarillo

Extract related posts

Way to Amarillo

Postby Chris. » Mon May 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi, I've just finished fermenting my second W.T.A Brewuk extract kit, to this one 1 added extra Amarillo hops at each of the stages 45g 15g 15g. then dry hopped with 30g in the fermenter for 4 days. tasted it out of the fermenter, WOW! There is so much zingy grapefruit and citrus flavour I'm sure you could count this as one of your "five a day". I've ordered another kit, and I have some Citra hops, has anyone tried the brew using half Amarillo, half Citra? or dry hopping with Citra. Chris
Chris.

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Chris.
No, I haven't made WTA, but I have used Citra a lot.

You need more than you think. When dry hopping with Citra, you need about 20% more than you think. I know both hops are rated at a flavour intensity of 9, but I really do think this is optimistic with Citra. To try it, make a Hop Tea with both. Boil 1.0 lt of water and let it cool to 80°c, add 10 gms of Amarillo and allow to steep for half an hour. Do another one with Citra and compare them.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Way to Amarillo

Postby Chris. » Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Saracen,Thanks for the reply, sound good advice to sample the two in a hop tea, do you put milk and sugar in? Also, is it better to add the dry hopping at the start or towards the end of ferment, Regards, Chris
Chris.

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Mon May 21, 2012 2:34 pm

do you put milk and sugar in?
8O
Never thought of drinking it!?! Might be a winner.
Dry hopping needs to be done after the first violent fermentation is over. Add them at 3 - 4 days into the fermentation and leave them in there for 7 - 10 days. Try to aim for 14 days from the start of fermentation to the time you bottle/barrel.

saracen

Way to Amarillo

Postby nath » Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm

There is so much zingy grapefruit and citrus flavour I'm sure you could count this as one of your "five a day

:lol: Nice!
nath

Way to Amarillo

Postby PhilB » Tue May 22, 2012 7:56 am

Hi Saracen,
Sorry to be picky, but when you say ...

Boil 1.0 lt of water and let it cool to 80°c, add 10 gms of Amarillo and allow to steep for half an hour.

... during that half an hour, is the Hop Tea just left to steep? Maybe with the lid on and something insulating wrapped around it, like a tea-towel? Or do you monitor the temp and heat the pan a little to maintain it within certain limits? If so what are those limits?
This is for making Hop Tea to "pimp" a kit, I'm talking about now. I'm sure I've read something in the forum about heating things up, but I can't for the life of me find it ... and I don't know whether I'm confusing the technique for making Hop Tea with the method for Steeping Grains :?
Thanks in advance, PhilB
PhilB

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Tue May 22, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Phil.
For Hop Tea, just add the hops to water at 80°c and leave them there for 1/2 hr. You can insulate the pot somehow if you wish, but it won't make much difference. Don't bother keeping the heat up.
For steeping, the grains go into water at about 65° to 70°c. The steeping temperature needs to be kept fairly constant within this range by adding some gentle heat.
If you wish to add bitterness, then you put the hops in boiling water and boil vigorously for 60 - 70 minutes.

saracen

Way to Amarillo

Postby PhilB » Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks Saracen, superb summary. That's getting printed out and will be pasted in my brewing scrapbook ... if I ever get around to starting it :D
PhilB

Way to Amarillo

Postby Jez » Wed May 23, 2012 8:05 am

Interesting, i was about to order another WTA kit and was considering dry hopping to increase the 'hoppiness' even more. '45g 15g 15g. then dry hopped with 30g' were the additions you used at each stage?
Presumably the early additions in the boil will add to bitterness rather than overall hoppiness?
What do you reckon would be a good amount for dry hopping only?
As the hops come in 100g packs, i may just follow your addition! :D
Jez

Way to Amarillo

Postby Chris. » Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi, Jez, I can't remember the amount of hops on the Brewpack recipe, but 45g 15g 15g were the total amounts I made it up to, NOT additions. My WTA has just finished fermenting, so I won't be able tell the final taste yet, but I had a taste when I was decanting into the keg (about a pint!) and it was quite bitter but with a great big grapefruit/citrus flavour.I like this type of bitter,fruity taste, If you don't like it too bitter then don't increase the hops during the main boil.As for the dry hopping, I would add 30-50g.see previous posts by Saracen regarding this. This again is dependant on your taste. The only way I'm going to find out is by keeping exact records of brews. My first go at WTA I bottled, this one I'm going to keg. I know people say bottling and keeping for a while improves flavour ect. I have not got their willpower. Regards, Chris

How do you get the info at the bottom of posts re brewing now ect.?
Chris.

Way to Amarillo

Postby omega » Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 am

How do you get the info at the bottom of posts re brewing now ect.?
Hi Chris this threw me a bit as well :-)
In your profile go to management block (bottom right) click edit and add the info into the signature box at the bottom.
omega

Way to Amarillo

Postby Chris. » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:39 am

Thanks Omega, sorry not thanked you sooner ,just back from Hols. Chris
Chris.

Way to Amarillo

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 am

Chris, thanks for the reply
How did the beer taste in the end? Ran it throught the beer engine and it suggests an EBU of 63? Does the bitterness come through from the extra hops in the boil?
About to place an order, will definitely get some additional hops, just wondering whether i will just dry hop at the moment though
Jez

Way to Amarillo

Postby Chris. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 am

Hi, Jez, It tasted superb, quite bitter, very fruity, (grapefruit & lychees) but i like my beer with a bitter twang.I am no expert but if you didn't want it quite so bitter try 35g - 15g - 25g then dry hop with 30g. As Saracen said best to dry hop after the first violent ferment,around 3 days, then dry hop, I only left mine in there for 4 days, but longer seems to be the norm. I casked mine, i wish I had let it mature a while longer to see how it improved, but my mate came round on the Jubilee river pageant day = empty cask. good luck with the brew, let me know how it turns out. Regards, Chris
Chris.

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:18 pm

my mate came round on the Jubilee river pageant day = empty cask.

Always good to draw off a couple of bottles (screw top Wine bottles are good) and put them away for 3 months.

saracen

Way to Amarillo

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks chap, I am sure the heads were sore and the voices gone from singing the national anthem so much.
I am splitting the extra bag of hops with a mate, so will probably put a bit extra in for the boil and then dry hop liberally!
As usual will bottle the lot as it stops me from sneaking in the extra half whilst the wife isnt looking!
Jez

Way to Amarillo

Postby Rhodesy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,
I am thinking about brewing this newt using a liquid yeast. As the shop does not offer the option to add a Wyeast to the receipe pack could anyone advise a suitable one? I am thinking 1056 American Ale or 1272 American Ale II (currently out of stock).
Rhodesy

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 am

Hi.
1056 is a yeast I haven't had good results with. It ferments quite dry with up to 77% attenuation, but the floculation is low to medium and I've never got it to clear. 1272 is a better option, or 1335. To be honest, US-05 will probably give the best result.
Have you looked here?
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm

saracen

Way to Amarillo

Postby Rhodesy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks Saracen. I was looking to repitch this yeast once done into another brew such as Rocker APA. I had a look initally on the Wyeast site and then checked on here to make sure it was available. Whilst I know dry yeast is reliable with steady results, I was under the impression liquid yeast bore the best results?
Rhodesy

Way to Amarillo

Postby saracen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:38 am

I was under the impression liquid yeast bore the best results?

It depends entirely on the result you want. Dried yeasts are easier and often ferment more reliably over a wider temperature range. 'Best' is an arbitrary term, really. All yeasts, dried and liquid, have different characteristics. Some bring out malt, some give fruity esters, some ferment dry, some sweeter. Temperature affects the result a liquid yeast gives, too, probably moreso than dried.
You need to go through the Wyeast site, decide on the characteristics you want and get a yeast that acheives it.

If you start with this:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styleguidelines.cfm
Look for the type of beer and click on it. At the bottom are the recommended yeasts. Click on them in turn to see how they perform.

It's horses for courses.

saracen

Return to Extract Brewing