Way to Amarillo Instructions

Extract related posts

Way to Amarillo Instructions

Postby BarlickHomeBrewer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi All
This is my firsg attempt at extract brewing but have some questions regarding the instruction.

They state to bring 6 litres to the boil then add the malt, and then add the remainder of the dried malt at a later stage.
What ill happen to the hot break when adding additional malt?

The method which I'm thinking of doing is bringing 10litres up to temp then adding all 3kg malt at once. Once hot break has passed carry on with the instructions with the hop additions.

My other questions is the instructions say to steep with heat turned off for final hop additions.
Am I right in thinking that steeping just involves turning heat off and leaving to stand for the instructed time.

Do I need to place the lid on my pan 2 whilst steeping
BarlickHomeBrewer

Re: Way to Amarillo Instructions

Postby bloodsmith » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I have brewed this so many times, as a first time follow the instruction you can’t go wrong and you will end up with a lovely pint.

I have always followed the recipe and I usually get an explosion when adding the malt in at the later stage, in a way I end up with two hot breaks maybe.... (This might be debated)... it certainly seems that way.

Steeping I have done two different ways, turn the heat off bung em in and wait the allotted time or wait till it hits 80 c and steep for the allotted time. In all honesty it could be me but I did not notice a difference between the two beers. It is said that if you bung them in at 100C you lose some of the aroma oils you are trying to add. As for the lid, I have steep with the lid on, lid off and partially on and once again not noticed a massive difference.

I would follow the instructions the first time.

Very nice pint by the way, in fact one of my fav's, let us know how you get on.
Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
-Winston Churchill-
bloodsmith

Postby saracen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm

BarlickHomeBrewer wrote:Hi All
They state to bring 6 litres to the boil then add the malt, and then add the remainder of the dried malt at a later stage.
What will happen to the hot break when adding additional malt?

First off, there is no 'Hot Break' associated with Extract Brewing. That's an entirely different thing that happens when brewing All Grain. In the case of Malt Extract, the Hot Break (and Cold Break) has already happened during the manufacturing process

The method which I'm thinking of doing is bringing 10 litres up to temp then adding all 3kg malt at once. Once hot break has passed carry on with the instructions with the hop additions.

This will mean the Specific Gravity of the brew, at this stage, will be too high and the hop extraction efficiency will go down. This will give slightly lower bitterness and some lack of flavour. You could do a 10 lt boil, and if you do then you should add 1.5 Kg of the Malt Extract. This will maintain the correct SG. If you wish to add all the Extract at the start you need to boil 18 lts.

The best way to avoid problems with adding the remainder of the Malt Extract is to wait until the end of the boil, turn off the heat and then add the Extract. That way it won't boil over.
Personally, I would add the rest of the Malt Extract after steeping the final hops, as this should extract more flavour.
All the later extract kits do it this way:

"Instructions (From Hop Back Summer Lightning)

Bring 6 litres of water to between 65-70°c and dissolve 1.0 kg of the Malt Extract in the liquid and bring to the boil. Add 38 gms Challenger hops. Boil for 65 mins then add 13 gms of Golding Hops. Boil for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the liquid to cool to 80°c and add the 9 gms of Goldings and allow to steep for 30 mins, then add the rest of the malt extract.

My other questions is the instructions say to steep with heat turned off for final hop additions.
Am I right in thinking that steeping just involves turning heat off and leaving to stand for the instructed time

Do I need to place the lid on my pan 2 whilst steeping

Yes, just turn off the heat and add the hops. Normally, you let the brew cool to about 80°c to get the full hop flavour and retain as much of the aroma as possible, but it's personal preference.
You can leave the lid on or off.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Postby bloodsmith » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Saracen,

I am glad you answered, there is one part of the subject that has been debated and in my mind never been concluded, I know we say that there is not hot break in extract however...... sticking my neck out here.

When I have brewed with extract I have had what seems to be a hot break - the creamy foam on top of the boil increasing exponentialy to almost climb out the pot.

What would this be? Is that the boil is to vigerous?

I know with the late malt addition if you dont take it off the heat you will get a malt explosion with half of everything landing on the cooker instead of the pot.

I just find ithat after now doing ag, partial mash and extract I have seem see or experience a "hot break" , albeit vastly smaller than ag when I have done extract... or maybe I have totoally misunderstood after all these years what a hot break is.

edit: Hence why I said this maight be debated. :D
Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
-Winston Churchill-
bloodsmith

Postby saracen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm

bloodsmith wrote:Hi Saracen,

there is one part of the subject that has been debated and in my mind never been concluded, I know we say that there is not hot break in extract however...... sticking my neck out here.

When I have brewed with extract I have had what seems to be a hot break - the creamy foam on top of the boil increasing exponentialy to almost climb out the pot.

What would this be? Is that the boil is to vigerous?:D

No.
Have you ever boiled sugar? If so, you'll see it can be a beast as it can foam up and boil over so easily. Malt Extract is only a sugar, and there is a great deal of air incorporated in it. When it hits the hot water, the whole thing foams up and as there is such a large quantity, the foaming is extreme. Sugar does exactly the same, and it's only when it's been boiling for a good while that it subsides.

This is also why you get a big foaming going on with All Grain, and although it's associated with the Hot Break, it's not actually it. The Hot Break is when the proteins coagulate after boiling vigorously and the visible appearance of foam is not what causes it.

The Hot Break, associated with the Cold Break, is when the proteins associated with the extraction of the sugars from the Malt during mashing, coagulate into large pieces which can be extracted from the wort after the boil. The Hot Break creates the conditions for proteins to lump together during the Cold Break. That is why we cool the wort rapidly, to make these proteins coagulate and drop to the botom of the boiler. Without this, you get cloudy beer from protein haze. When Malt Extract is made, this process has already been done, otherwise the beer made from Malt Extract would be cloudy.

This could be the source of confusion:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-2.html

because John Palmer refers to "proteins in your extract", but he's referring to the extract you acheived after mashing.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Postby bobmcstuff » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

The foam that climbs out of the pan when boiling extract is just like the foam you get from boiling milk.
Fermenting:
Conditioning/Drinking: Goldings IPA, Oak-Aged Old Ale
Planning: Peated Scotch Ale
bobmcstuff

Postby Craigw10 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 pm

I have just started fermenting this beer. Plenty of good reviews and really looking forward to drinking it. I have followed the recipe, however, it doesn't give any specific instructions about bottling it. Will I need to add sugar to this to get some carbonation in the bottle?
Craigw10

Return to Extract Brewing