Way To Amarillo stronger

Extract related posts

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi Guys
This is my first post hear,have been a fan for a while and was hoping for a little advise.
I have just finished my first Way To Amarillo brew and am plescently happy with the results and planning my next brews while waiting for this one to clear.
I would like to make a stronger version of Way To Amarillo more like 6-7%ABV but keep the 21 litre size. would this just be a case of adding an extra kg of malt extract? and is this likely to affect the taste( making the malt more dominant than the hops)
Also I've got some Galaxy hops on order pellets and flowers, which I was planning on using as a substiitute to Amarillo hops and maybe dry hop for a true hop monster of a IPA.
Has any one worked with these hops?
Sam
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Hey Sam!
If you added just the malt then yes it would mess up the recipe, you would have to balance the hops with it. I will have a play in beersmith tomorrow and (hopefully) sort something out for ya! You can substitute hops but you have to adjust for the difference in hop bitterness. Galaxy are supposed to be mega punchy and Im sure if you changed to them it would turn out great as long as you stick to the same overall bitterness.
Great to see you doing another brew while waiting. One of the things you learn is that its essential to have a "rolling stock" so you are always drinking one, conditioning one and fermenting one!
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:58 am

That's great Nath, if you could sort something out it'll be greatly appreciated
Been looking at beersmith but wanna get a couple of successful brews under my belt first before investing in software and tampering with recipes myself.
I liked the idea of the galaxy hops because of the talk that they impart a passion fruit style flavour.
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry for delays, but a double double brew day is hindering me! I have had a look on beersmith and the IBU's are about 32 and the gravity is approx 1.050. so 4.8-5%.
If you use 2kg at the beginning instead of 1kg and use 32g all of boil and 15g instead of 10g for the last 15 mins the ibus remain the same.
heres the thing though the ratio between the maltyness and hoppyness for the original is 0.665. If you do the above, although the ibu (bitterness) stays the same the taste will be different as it is a stronger drink.
So you could also do this - 2kg instead of 1kg of malt at the beginning, 40g hops at start of boil and 25g in the last 15 mins will keep the same ratio, so in theroy a similar taste....maybe!
The choice is yours, Ive never upped the percentage of a beer I liked, but the 2 methods above is how I would do it.
Id also wait for some more opinions from extract brewers as I am all grain so I dont tend to use beersmith for extract recipes and someone else may be able to sort it out better for you.
Hope it sort of helps, I now it may be a bit confusing so keep asking and I will post to see if some extract brewers can help us out :wink:
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby saracen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Sam. Well, I haven't brewed extract for a while, but as Nath says, upping the ABV will produce a different beer. If you have Graham Wheeler's book "Brew your own British Real Ale", look up Fullers ESB and Fullers London Pride. You'll see the recipes are virtually exactly the same with the quantities all scaled up to produce the higher ABV. The beers are very different, though. I use Beer Engine, because it's simple, like me, and it's free, unlike me. You can download it here.
http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/index.html
You will need to go for the Grain and Hop editors and adjust the ingredients and hop AAU, but if you look up the stuff you want to use in the shop section, you'll mostly find all the information you need to adjust the ingredients. Have a play around with it, look at how different stuff changes the fugures, and you'll get a better idea of Nath's explanantion. You can even design your hop monster IPA. I'd start with one of GW's recipes, like Fullers ESB or Flowers IPA and adjust things from there. At the very least you'll get a better understanding of how it all works. If you really want to get complicated, you can pay for Beersmith. Personally, I like it to be as simple as it can be.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby Hamish » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:00 pm

This gravity/hops ratio chart may help formulate the recipe...
http://www.brewsupplies.com/hops-gravity.htm
Planning: Dortmunder Export, IPA, more single hop pale ales
Fermenting:
Maturing/Conditioning: Export India porter
Drinking: Dr Smurto's golden ale, Cascade pale ale, American pale ale, Belgian stout & shop bought stuff
Hamish

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Looking at the chart seems to point out that the second way of my post is the best way. The ibu is 42 in the second one, the chart points to around the same Ibus.
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby Hamish » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Here is my stab at it...
Ignore the Total Liquor setting as its tweaked for my setup.
Fermenting:
Drinking: Dr Smurto's golden ale, Cascade pale ale, American pale ale, Belgian stout & shop bought stuff
Hamish

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby saracen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:21 pm

That looks like a handy site, Hamish. Lots of info on there.

How did you get that screenshot from Beer Engine? I tried all sorts but I can't find a way.

saracen

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Does the "print screen" key on the keyboard not work?
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby Hamish » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 pm

1. Print screen

2. Paste into Paint, select the part of the screen you want, copy & paste a new copy, save.

3. Upload to ImageShack or similar, copy URL

4. Paste URL and post
Probably easier ways but thats how I do it.
Fermenting:
Hamish

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby saracen » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi both. No, can't get the "print screen" key to do anything. If I press the key, with or without Ctrl and/or Alt, or Shift, nothing at all happens.

saracen

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for all the advice guys
think I'm gonna order the stuff in and just give it a go and shall post the results
Will also try beer engine and muck around with the galaxy hops I've got on order and maybe get the two brew on at once
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 pm

So I downloaded Beer engine as suggested by saracen and came up with the following:

what do you guys think ??

Baring in mind this is my first recipe
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 pm

sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:49 pm

ive tried keeping the weights as even as i can but keeping the IBU's as per the gravity hops ration chart
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Looks good to me mate, 42 ibu and Plenty Strong! Remember to make sure you pitch enough healthy yeast to ensure they are not overwhelmed by the amount of sugar in there! What yeat will you be using? If its dry yeast mr.maltys calculator say to use 1.5 11g packs to ensure a good fermentation.
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby saracen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Looks good to me. I like Beer Engine because it's simple. I normally use the %EBU ratio (bottom righthand corner) when I'm modifying a recipe. If you start with an established recipe you can see the %age EBU each hop stage gives and adjust a substitute hop accordingly.

saracen

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Well I've got two packets of Safale US-05 yeast in my box of tricks but have been looking at the wyeast but not sure which one to go for
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby nath » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:28 pm

s05 will be fine, I believe its whats used in the packs. I would stick with s05 for this one and if you like the recipe then change/alter yeasts hops etc.
nath

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby Hamish » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:12 pm

If you use US-05 it will probably ferment out to 1010-ish not 1015 so the beer may well be 7%+, such are the limitations of Beer Engine.
Fermenting:
Hamish

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby Mike1986 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Borrowed this from the summer ale receipe on the main site ' You can add more malt extract to increase the ABV. 500g will increase by 0.5%. Add to the pan after boiling is complete otherwise you will alter the bitterness'. Hope that helps.
Mike
Mike1986

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:10 pm

In response to mike1986 suggestion
why would adding a kg of malt after boil only change abv by 0.5% when beerengine states 4kg will alter the abv signifincatly ?
Am I just being stupid or am I missing something between the summer lighting recipe and the one discussed above?
Thanks again for all the help guys
Sam
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby sam87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

In response to mike1986 suggestion
why would adding a kg of malt after boil only change abv by 0.5% when beerengine states 4kg will alter the abv signifincatly ?
Am I just being stupid or am I missing something between the summer lighting recipe and the one discussed above?
Thanks again for all the help guys
Sam
sam87

Way To Amarillo stronger

Postby saracen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm

500g (Not 1 kilo) will increase by 0.5%.

am I missing something

Possibly. 4000 gm gives ABV 6.3 and 4500 gm gives ABV 7.0, so it's 0.7% but the brewing process is not an exact science. 0.5% is given as a rough guide. It makes no difference to the ABV when you add it, but, as Greg's recipe says, it will affect the bitterness (IBU or EBU)

saracen

Next

Return to Extract Brewing