Vidine

Place all your tips here

Vidine

Postby dandan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 pm

I switched to videne many brews ago, using 1.25-1.5ml per litre of water to get a no-rinse solution.
How do I use it?

I use 500ml in a spray bottle to brew ( Great for spraying up taps, into tubes and bottles, for other things like FV’s I pour a small amount into it and rotate the FV, then a quick spray and tip out)
make sure everything is properly cleaned & rinsed with hot water first.
0.75ml per half a litre and also add a 0.5 teaspoon (2.5gms) of citric acid to increases and prolongs its effectiveness. Best use filtered/treated/bottle water as chlorine and water hardness can effect how long the solution lasts.
You can get citric acid from BrewUK, it looks a bit like table sugar, but it tastes foul if used in tea (trust me on that one I’ve made the mistake)!
The solution is the colour of cold tea. Over time as it loses its sterilizing potency as it looses its sterilizing effect it loses its colour. Also best stored out of light!
I tip some solution into a bowl for soaking bottle caps in to sterilise them.
Bottles:
1) Put some hot water in each bottle (to clear debris)

2) Shake each one and place upside down to drain

3) Make up videne in a jug

4) Quick visable check to see for stuck muck inside, Spray two or three sprays of vidine into bottle

5) Thumb over the end, each gets bottlw shake, solution emptied into a jug, neck of bottle dipped in jug

6) Fill with beer and cap
you need to make sure you buy Videne Antiseptic Solution, as there is 3 types of the stuff!
What is Videne really designed for??

Videne Antiseptic Solution is a antiseptic for topical use e.g in casualty work or for pre-operative skin preparation. It will give a colour deffination to the skin which effectively indicates which areas of the skin remain antiseptic.
dandan

Vidine

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Excellent - just ordered some online as no one near here stocks it.

Thanks Dan!
Beer will get you through the times of no money better than money will get you through the times of no beer (with grateful thanks to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and slightly adapted)
Tony

Vidine

Postby nath » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 pm

If you have problems sourcing it, any decent pharmacy should be able to get it in. My local tescos pharmacy ordered it monday in on tuesday. 500ml for a fiver.
Sorted.
nath

Vidine

Postby dandan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Some pharmacys won't give it you as it is a product that no one is sure of its classification (prescription or no prescription) where I used to get my Vidine from (£3.50) has now gone to Prescription Required/medical professional.
dandan

Vidine

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 am

I ordered mine from www.gpsupplies.com

This is the cheapest I could find on the net after giving up the local search - direct link:
http://www.gpsupplies.com/Product/hand_ ... ion_(500ml)
Beer will get you through the times of no money better than money will get you through the times of no beer (with grateful thanks to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and slightly adapted)
Tony

Vidine

Postby mikehawley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Guys
So this stuff genuinely is no rinse. desn't leave any odour or taste at all?
Cheers
mikehawley

Vidine

Postby dandan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I can't detect it in any brew i've made, No smell, No taste! If its good enough for hospitals during opperations to use its good enough for me to use whilst making beer!!
dandan

Vidine

Postby jharper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Just thought I would let you know, I bought my 500ml videne from the pharmacy at Tescos. It was ordered and I picked it up the next day. Make sure you ask for 10% solution. Cost was around £6.00. I have been using it in a 1 litre garden sprayer I bought from Wilkos for 59p.
I use just over a quarter of a teaspoon with 1 litre of water.
This should last me for a long time. It is so easy to sanitize wine bottles - 2 squirts covers the inside of the bottle in a fine mist.
jharper

Vidine

Postby sjb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Can confirm it also works perfectly for me on bottles i have used, although i did rinse them all after the videne, its at least quite a lot quicker than having to leave different stuff in there for periods of time.
I assume its safe to use in higher quantities to sterilise the FV as well? (I say assume i've done it on 2 batches so far, spraying all equipment and soaking in FV, and while we're not at drinking, havent detected any problems yet with regards to smell/scum/fermentation issues)
sjb

Vidine

Postby dandan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

sjb you shouldn't need to rinse the bottles out, just spray, swill, empty, fill with beer.
dandan

Vidine

Postby Brewster365 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi
Is this stuff the same as Videne Antiseptic Aqueous Solution.
Brewster365

Vidine

Postby nath » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 am

Dunno, but im sure you can only use the version Dan wrote about here. Its the stuff I use and its good and cheap.
nath

Vidine

Postby PMA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Alwight chaps? Just putting preps in place to do my last Wherry kit in time for xmas (after my Amarillo went horribly wrong and ended up tasting pretty darned crappy - the sink treatment for that lot, shame as it looks bloody amazing!
Anyhoo, I'm going to buy some spraymalt and challenger to pep it up (thank you Mr. Saracen) but I also need to replenish my cleaning stuff. Now, I've been using Young's metabisulphate but it's now all gone. I'm keen to try other cleaning (sterilising) agents. What do people recommend? I want cheap, easy, quick, no fuss and above all, it has to do the job properly! Any advice from you lot will be most graciously accepted :)
PMA

Vidine

Postby Hamish » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Videne is an iodine based antiseptic and although I've used it to sterilise bottles in the past without any problems at all I'm not convinced about its effectiveness as you really need a chlorine based product.
Videne will not clean anything but I do know that iodine its used on farm to sterilise bulk milk tanks.
I've just gone back to VWP from Antiformin, which I seemed to use up quite quickly :? . A 400 gram pot of VWP will make 120 gallons of sterilising liquid, for about a fiver thats a bargain despite all the bloody rinsing.
Planning: Märzen, Zwickl, Dunkel & a Belgian stout
Fermenting:
Maturing/Conditioning: Weizen Bock
Drinking: ESB, Malty bitter, Smoked porter & shop bought stuff
Hamish

Vidine

Postby PMA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Cheers Hamish, I was wondering about the actual cleaning properties of Videne, I guessed as much that it was simply an after-clean sanitiser :(
Are there any cleaners that are really, really easy, minimal rinsing, short soak time etc?
PMA

Vidine

Postby saracen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

I always use cheap, Asda household bleach. It's an effective cleaner and steriliser, but it does need thorough rinsing with cold water, preferably from a hosepipe.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Vidine

Postby zxreddy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am

Hi. I'm new to home brewing.

I've got a wherry kit in the fv an the moment. I'm planning to bottle half and keg the rest.

I'm looking for some videne at the moment, but can't track any down.

Has anyone bought any recently? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
zxreddy

Vidine

Postby Technotrucker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:17 am

Hi Zxreddy & welcome.
As an early post states this item is a Prescription Only product as I've been told. Did a quick Google and came up with this site..HERE. may be worth a try. Ebay have it at £16.41 a throw..HERE That is mega money, like the guys say stick with VWP or bleach.
Technotrucker

Vidine

Postby Technotrucker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 am

preferably from a hosepipe.

Saracen this go's back to that post I did about the hose pipe ban a few weeks back :wink:, we now have it in our area. I want to do a brew this weekend, but I still use my old IC that I made, now that's the problem if I get caught. I wont be using the hose because I cant afford the fine...so this got me thinking I've got a water butt and an old pump. SO if I fill the butt up with a bucket,(which is legal) I've checked, on the Fri night it still goes down cold here, we had a frost over the weekend. I could then connect my chiller via the pump and recycle, my take a little longer than normal (20/25 mins) but I still get to brew. :wink:
Technotrucker

Vidine

Postby zxreddy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Technotrucker.
Think ill get some from that first link, I like the sound of not having to rinse my bottles.
I'll probably have more questions in the future, this forum is very friendly, and I've got loads of tips already, so thanks!
zxreddy

Vidine

Postby saracen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:27 am

Lateral thinking, I believe.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Vidine

Postby beerlover1983 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

i get my videne from asda chesmist £3 heard tesco do it aswell they did ask what i was using it for and oderd it in as they dont tend to keep it on shelf.
beerlover1983

Vidine

Postby nath » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm

+1 to beerlover - I used to get mine from Tesco's pharmacy. Im more of a starsan and antiformin man now though.
nath

Vidine

Postby zxreddy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:49 pm

I phoned my local Tesco pharmacy earlier, and they were no help at all! Didn't want to know.

Think ill use the stuff that came with my micro brewery kit this time. But ill try to track down some no rinse steriliser for my next brew.
Thanks for all your help!
zxreddy

Vidine

Postby Mark81 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 am

You could buy starsan from this site which is non rinse. I got videne 6 weeks ago from Sainsburys (had to ring to order first). Starsan and Videne will both last ages as you only use a little mixed with water.
Planning: - Get brewing again
Fermenting: - Nowt
Conditioning: - Nowt
Drinking: - Citra Wheat Beer
Mark81

Next

Return to Brewing Tips