When to bottle my wheat beer.

Postby jonx69 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 am

Hi,

Just started my first BIAB wheat beer, I have so far used the 14 day in FV rule of thumb before bottling, but with a wheat isn't some of the flavour from the suspended yeast? so would it be better to bottle after fermentation, say 7-10 days?
cheers.
jonx69

Postby grmski » Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 am

Hi jonx69,
You are a mind reader I'm planning a hefeweizen and have pencilled in the date to do it but have been running through in my mind the possible issues along the way and the only thing that struck me as different was how long to leave in the fv. We want plenty of yeast in the bottle so like you I'm thinking the 7-10 limit might be best, obviously depending on gravity.
Planning: Citra APA
Fermenting: English IPA, Beaverdale Merlot
Conditioning: Dragon Stout Clone
Drinking: DOC Merlot, Cascade APA, Coopers Euro Lager, ESB

"I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will"
grmski

Postby Silas » Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am

I'll be taking a reading from my wit today to see where I'm at. I pitched on the evening of the 29th of April, so it's been 10 days tonight. I can tell you that as of last night, there was still lots of krausen in the FV, and it was still bubbling I'd say once a minute.
Silas

Postby grmski » Wed May 09, 2012 11:37 am

So that's been in for 11 days and still has sometime to go by the sounds of it.
Planning: Citra APA
Fermenting: English IPA, Beaverdale Merlot
Conditioning: Dragon Stout Clone
Drinking: DOC Merlot, Cascade APA, Coopers Euro Lager, ESB

"I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will"
grmski

Postby madlen_lieb » Wed May 09, 2012 5:15 pm

hi,
don't bottle, before the fermentation has stopped, otherwise you have a lethal weapon, when the bottles lift up ( and explodes, if you use glass)
there will be plenty of yeast be left floating around, as long you don't use beer finings. if you want more yeast, just do it like the breweries, dehydrate a new pack and fill in the bottles.
lg madlen
In a civilized society, the only persons outside the dictates of decency and law are those who make it there profession.

Aufgrung unserer Internationalität, setzen wir verhandlungsicheres English vorraus. To look for bloody oranges in the the fruit shelf
madlen_lieb

Postby Silas » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Just checked the gravity and it was 1.012, so I'll leave it another day and see if it drops a bit more. A lot of the krausen had submerged today compared to yesterday, so definitely kegging it soon. Was aiming at 1.010, so hopefully another day after giving it a gentle stir. Smelled lovely malty with spicy hints!
Silas

Postby Hamish » Wed May 09, 2012 6:32 pm

You don't want so much yeast in solution it looks like milkshake.
There'll be enough yeast from the conditioning to contribute flavour and make it cloudy, provided you tip all the yeast into the glass. I drop mine clear, though not crystal clear because I'll bottle it a few days earlier than an ale. I believe the German breweries filter then re-yeast as Madlen describes.
I brewed a wheatie the Sunday before last. This last Sunday I dropped the temperature to 10C, I'll bottle it tomorrow.
Planning:
Fermenting:
Maturing/Conditioning:
Drinking: shop bought stuff
Hamish

Postby Silas » Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Jon,

You can also have a look at the attenuation that your yeast has. For example, the yeast I've used is 74-78% according to Whitelabs. I started at 1.048 and I'm down to 1.012, that's 74.2%, so I know that if it doesn't drop more by tomorrow, I've probably maxed out the yeast as good as I can. I didn't add yeast nutrition, I don't have a O2 tube that I can aerate with etc, I just shook the FV which aerates like 30% tops, so I'd be happy with 74-75%.
The reason a lot of people leave their beer in the FV for a longer time (2-3w) is that the yeast gets time to clean up after itself. Not something I'd want my wheat beer to do for a longer period of time :)
If I'm completely mistaking, someone correct me! :)
Silas

Postby jonx69 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks all, the plan I think then is to drop the FV to room temp (about 13c/14c) after a week or so, then bottle a few days before the usual 14.
cheers.
jonx69

Return to General Brewing Discussions