Screw cap bottles

All other wine related posts

Screw cap bottles

Postby nunuboogie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:11 pm

As its becoming increasingly difficult to find cork wine bottles, what's the general advise on using these for homemade wine? In the past I have used a cork with the screw cap re-fitted, although I have now become aware that the bottles are not as thick as corked bottles.
nunuboogie

Screw cap bottles

Postby saracen » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Nunuboogie.

Nice to meet you.
In short, I'm not sure.

Personally, I use screw top wine bottles to store the couple of excess litres of beer I often get from a brew. I add sugar to them, so they pressurise to quite an extent, and just screw the original cap back on nice and tight. Obviously check around the top for any damage and discard if there are any chips. I've never had a problem, but I certainly wouldn't over-pressurise one, with something like a Champagne style.
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Screw cap bottles

Postby nunuboogie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 am

Hi Saracen

Thanks for the reply :-) I won't make that rash trip to the recycling centre just yet then.
nunuboogie

Screw cap bottles

Postby Technotrucker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Nunuboogie..I've done a couple of wine kits in the past, and I've used screw top wine bottles. I was told by a guy that he only used his old wine bottles 2 maybe 3 times because of the seals inside the caps, I can see his thinking on this, but then why can't you somehow make a new seal and reuse the bottles over & over.
Technotrucker

Screw cap bottles

Postby johnwill666 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,i have been thinking about trying a 6 bottle wine kit and hoping to put it in 500 m beer bottles with a crown cap,do you think this would be ok and allow the wine to mature and keep. :?
Drinking stout,sparkale
Conditioning,bitter,wherry,conkerwood

Fermenting,ipa wine,gooseberry
johnwill666

Screw cap bottles

Postby nunuboogie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Tchnotrucker I'm sure you can buy some seals that would work on screwcap bottles?

johnwill666 i'm sure beer bottles would be ok they are made of a much tougher glass.
nunuboogie

Screw cap bottles

Postby Technotrucker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm sure you can buy some seals

Any idea where from???
I'm sure beer bottles would be ok

Never give it a thought, but can't see why not.. :wink:
Technotrucker

Screw cap bottles

Postby nunuboogie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:51 pm

These may work?
nunuboogie

Screw cap bottles

Postby Technotrucker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 am

Maybe worth a try....cheers
Technotrucker

Screw cap bottles

Postby Mark. » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Nunboogie if you are laying your wine down to mature for say 6 months to a year then it is advisable to go wiyth the corks. If it is just a quick turnaround of make and drink asap then the screw caps or plastic stoppers or what you have posted is ideal.
Also out of courteousy to Greg it is not advisable to post a link to another homebrew website as you have done.
Mark.

Screw cap bottles

Postby nunuboogie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Mark, I have since come to the same conclusion. Time to buy more cork wine bottles!

Sorry Greg, (have removed link) :oops:
nunuboogie

Screw cap bottles

Postby HicHaecHoc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 am

I've been using recycled screw top glass wine bottles for my wine and recycled litre PET tonic water bottles for my beer. I wear a leather glove when tightening the tops on to help make sure they are good and tight - without getting a saw paw. The wine bottles are left upright for a week or so for any sediment to collect then racked horizontally. You can over-tighten the wine tops but provided they aren't damaged I've reused them. So far, touch wood, they all seem airtight with no leakage.

My wife, God bless her, is continually adding to my collection of tonic bottles and I'm thinking of using them for wine as well, although http://www.brewuk.co.uk/forum/topic/pet-plastic-vs-glass-pros-cons lists some reasons why I shouldn't. I'm concerned about leaching out chemicals etcetera but tend towards the views expressed at http://www.habitat21.co.uk/plastics-3.html backed up by PET's reported use, for example here http://www.thedrinksreport.com/full.articles/packaging.folder/trends.reports/full.0111_PETbottles-alcoholic-beverages-report.html. Aesthetically, they don't look good on table but a crystal decanter would sort that.
HicHaecHoc

Screw cap bottles

Postby JustStarting » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

I use screw top bottles without problems. Sone of the lids must have been used 10 times by now.
Certainly 2 years is OK. Some of my country creations have been in the bottle that long, and come out fine.
In fact, the only leakage I ever had was a cork! (In a screw top bottle neck - duh!)
Neil.
JustStarting

Screw cap bottles

Postby saracen » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

the only leakage I ever had was a cork! (In a screw top bottle neck - duh!)

Yes. Bit of a problem. Just about everythimg comes with a screw top now, but can you buy corks to fit them?
This is written above the Pier at Walton-on-the-Naze:
"The Happiest Sound in all the World is that of Children's Laughter."

E-mail: arnyfris at gmail dot com
saracen

Screw cap bottles

Postby jonx69 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm

I find some screw top bottles have the same diameter as corked ones, and have re-corked without problems, I suppose the fun is finding which ones :-)
jonx69

Screw cap bottles

Postby Barfly » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

This has been a problem for me. Can't find anyone who sells replacement Stelvin screw caps for wine bottles. I've even looked for the liners on their own, but without ordering 100,000 of them from China in one go, I've been out of luck. With so many new world wines coming with a screw cap I would have thought someone would have sold replacements for homebrew.
Barfly

Screw cap bottles

Postby Kcramp66 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi Barfly,

did you ever find replacement screw caps?
Kcramp66

Screw cap bottles

Postby RepoMan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm

I just managed to get some from my LHBS; I think that they are these: http://www.novatwist.com/uk/home.html. They definitely fit on wine bottles, as I tried one in the shop. They are also reusable, although you lose the tamper-proof seal
RepoMan

Screw cap bottles

Postby IThinkINeedHelp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 am

What if you use a shrink seal over the top will that secure the air tightness, or are they not airtight??
Im new to home brew and will be getting my kit shortly, but have a load of screw top wine bottles..
IThinkINeedHelp

Screw cap bottles

Postby DaMamma28 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I find corks fit my wine bottles,which have previously held supermarket-bought wine. I always use shrink seals over the top but have never had a problem!
DaMamma28

Screw cap bottles

Postby Gipsy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:02 pm

I use these in the link below, screw top are fine if they are stood upright as they will finally leak even when foiled, we found after removing the foil it was wet and then I had in my head it might be infected and couldn't enjoy it, my home brew shop sell push in tapperd corks that fit into the bottles in the link so I don't need a corker
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/bottling/ ... clear.html

Fv1 : Amarillo
Fv2 : Amarillo
Corny 1: Fullers discovery
Corny 2: Sazz & liberty pale ale
Corny 3: - -
Corny 4: - -
Corny 5: - -
Corny 6: - -
Conditioning- nothing at the moment
Gipsy

Return to Wine Making