sanitization

All other wine related posts

sanitization

Postby jimbowalk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi

Firstly can I apologise if the questions are basic and already answered elsewhere on the forum.

I have just completed my first 6 bottle wine kit, I have followed the brief instructions to the letter, but am still unclear on a couple points.

1, I have sterilized everything before i started but then used tap water, was this the right thing to do as this would not have been germ free.

2, The mixture has almost stopped bubbling so i then add the wine stabiliser, the instructions say to mix it first in a cup before putting in the mix, does this cup have to be sterilised at this stage because as far as i undersatnd the yeast would be now dead.

3, Do I still have to sterilize the bottles that i intend to use and would it be ok to use old swilled out, screw top bottles.
Thanks for the advice in advance and i know i am probably going over the top but i realy want this to be a success.
Kind Regards Ian
jimbowalk

sanitization

Postby Sqiffy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 pm

1. http://www.brewuk.co.uk/forum/topic/dis ... sanitation - recent discussion on pros and cons of sterilisation.
2. The cup should be sterilised before mixing the stabiliser. The state of the yeast is neither here nor there. What you are trying to do is ensure no unwanted natural yeasts or other bio lifeforms entire your wine alongside the stabiliser. - Having said that Steve_K seems to eschew all forms of sanitation without ill effect.
3. You need to sterilise the bottles and caps. Generally screw caps are not used as they are harder to sterilise and tend to have poor seals. Having said that it is still a fairly common practice, I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage. If you have no other option then you'll probably get away with it but in the future I'd think about using corks.
Hope this helps.
Sqiffy

sanitization

Postby jimbowalk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Squiffy
Thankyou for the reply, i now understand the importance of being sterile. I have made this wine on a budget as I am unsure how it will taste, if it is a success i will invest in more equipment ie corks, bottles etc
again many thank ian
jimbowalk

sanitization

Postby Sqiffy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi Ian, If you find your wine does not turn out as well as you'd hoped don't give up. :)
Plenty of help here if you need it. Best of luck with your brew,
Cheers.
Sqiffy

Return to Wine Making